Friday, January 30, 2009

Friendships

If one is estranged from oneself, then one is estranged from others too. If one is out of touch with oneself, then one cannot touch others - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

As I have been thinking about my Resolutions for 2009, one has been weighing heavily on my mind, specifically Relationship/Friendships. I recently joined Facebook, well actually no, I recently become active with my Facebook account and found some old friends that I had lost contact with over the past year because I disappeared. Why did I lose contact? I guess people change, but mainly I grew intolerant of some of the changes in their lives and I do not like change. I have been contemplating reaching out to them and even called one on her birthday earlier this month, but she never returned my call. The other night I was speaking with a new acquaintance from the "Cow Bell Club" (uh oh, let's not digress to the subject of hockey). We were discussing Facebook's Friend Request Component, where someone who "finds you" submits a request to be your friend. She said that a very close old friend who had disappeared from her life had recently reached out to her via Facebook. When I asked if she was interested in rekindling the relationship, she shook her head no and said that it was a little too late. So this morning after a restless night of sleep I made the decision to stop contemplating and not reach out to them...and today I am feeling sad and disappointment with my own actions of the past.

No comments: