Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrate Earth Day

It's Earth Day.

On the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day, my goal this year is to be a more responsible member of the planet. 

Here's a list of some simple  things that I did that you can do too:
  • Paint: I didn't realize how much painting we have done in this house. When our city was having their annual "dump your paint" day, DH pulled all the nearly empty cans of old paint from the garage, we were surprised about the amount we had laying around. The nice thing about the recycle paint program is that the company that receives this donated paint, in turn recycles it into new paint that they offer for free to the residents of our City.  They have a Cafe Latte color that I have been eyeballing....
  • Electronics:  I think Best Buy is running an ad right now to drop off old laptops instead of discarding them in the garbage.
  • Old Cellphones:  When we clean out one of the old night tables in our bedroom, I found old cellphone batteries (one was from the old Motorola Brick!).  We took these to our local mobile company who has a battery recycle program
  • Printer Ink Cartridges:  Most office supplies stores will give you $$$ off for returning empty print cartridges. 
  • Eyeglasses:  After learning that reading glasses were not cutting it anymore and I started wearing progressives (nice word for bi-focals?), I realized I still had a collection of old glasses.  There are many charitable organization that would love to receive your old glasses.  I wrote about it here.

No comments: