Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Cooking

While we were in Washington a few weeks ago we were watching the CBS Early Show and one of the Chef contributors was making grill pizza. I was thinking about it yesterday morning so I made some pizza dough and while that was rising, I marinated some shrimp and scallops and then off to the market for toppings.

Pizza dough is easy, especially if you have a Kitchen Aid, 1 pk yeast, 1 cup water (120-130F) 2 tbsp oil, 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 cup flour, pinch of salt, I also use about two tbsp brown sugar. Mix all ingredients (but just 1 cup of the flour) together and then slowly add the rest of the flour until you have a stiff dough. While the dough is mixing I warmed up my oven on low for a few minutes and then turned it off. When your dough is done, place in a lightly oiled bowl, flip to coat, cover with a dish towel and place in the oven to rise for about an hour.

When your dough is ready, take about a tennis ball size and roll out (it doesn't have to be round, (I think the irregular shape adds to the presentation). To grill the dough, just lay each crust directly onto the grill (yes make sure your grill is clean) for about a minute or two on low heat for a thin crust maybe a minute more for a thicker crust. You will see the dough start to form bubble pockets and will know it's ready when it no longer sticks to the grill.

Since I knew that we were going to make individual pizzas, I couldn't decide on toppings, so in the end, I probably came back from the market with too much for two:

Fresh Basil leaves
Sun-dried tomatoes
Soy Cheese (for me)
Mozzarella
Fresh Parmesan Cheese
Goat Cheese
Scallions
Tomatoes
Spinach
Cilantro
Prosciutto
Yellow & Orange Bell Peppers
Garlic Cloves

Since I already had pine nuts and brought too many packages of basil leaves, I made a pesto sauce for the shrimp and scallops. I was going to make a cilantro pesto, but I stopped myself, after there are only two of us.

To create your pizza, brush on some olive oil and just add your toppings, cook on med - high heat covered for about 5 minutes. One suggestion for any raw toppings (i.e. my scallops and shrimp) these should be cooked beforehand as your crust may burn during that second grilling if you were to wait for those raw toppings to cook.

Pictured here is DH's pizza, shrimp, scallops, pesto, sliced garlic and sun-dried tomatoes, which he then covered in all three cheeses. My pizza, pictured above was a simple soy Mozzarella, tomato, basil leaves, sliced garlic and scallions.

No comments: