Saturday, August 8, 2009

What's been occupying my time....

Almost a month since my last post. I am not apologizing as I blog without guilt, but I have missed it. Last month, my application for the Sayville Summerfest was accepted and therefore for the past 30 days I have been sewing non-stopped in preparation for the August 1-2 weekend event. This is the 3rd or 4th time we have done the show, the first two shows were great, the 3rd one was terrible and last year we skipped doing shows altogether. I was a bit hesitant to apply for this show as I wasn't too sure if folks would be willing to do some spending in this economy. In addition, I also decided I would also fly up North to assist my sister (who usually does all the selling) man the booth.


The first day, Saturday was disappointing, my sister said it was a beach day and it show in our sales. The next day was overcast and the place was mobbed with people. My sales were great until about 1:00pm and then the rains came and by 2:30pm we started packing it up because it was downpouring. I still came out ahead despite the booth fee, airline ticket and material cost, but I just wished it would have rained closer to the end time which was 6:00pm.

This time around, in addition to the jewelry, I was selling handbags and my lampwork beads. I didn't sell as many handbags as I would have liked and I did have a bunch of lookers. I think my tiny fat quarter handbags were priced a few dollars too high, but perhaps they will sell on Etsy. I was also surprise by how many folks purchased my lampwork sets.

Overall it was a good trip, I got to spend time with my parents and two other sisters and it was interesting to watch people react to my products. We even had, according to my sister, repeat customers from previous shows. Yep it was a good trip.

1 comment:

Lenox Knits said...

Sounds like a successful event. It's not always about making a huge profit but also about making connections. Getting to hang with the family sounds like a great bonus.